Members From Montana, Japan Give Views on Friends, Children

As the festivities shifted into high gear yesterday, the harried but happy grads of '27 and their-tribes confessed that they hadn't had so much fun since the Charleston died.

"It's better than a three-ring circus," one wife, stopped while she was dashing from old fame to family, was heard to exclaim. A junior son passed up a chance to go to the ball game just to sit agape at the eight of his father hugging old comrades in cups.

Masakatsu Hamamoto, who describes himself as "the only Oriental in my class," traveled farthest to be at the reunion, coming from Tokyo, Japan. He is combining the trip with business, for the import and export firm of J. Osawa and Co., Ltd. of Tokyo and Kyoto. Asked how he was enjoying the mob meeting, he answered that he was enjoying it, but "it takes a while to go back 25 years; to put myself back that far. When I do, though, my classmates look pretty much the same as over to me--happy, confident, and yet serious when needs be.

"Sometimes I mistake the sons for the fathers. The fathers look young to me; they look like they did when I went to college with them. But these young men are so much more sober and older looking than we were."

A big, slow-talking, easy-going man from Montana thinks the party is fine. Robert Burns, who raises sheep and cattle on three ranches out West, drove in through the year's hottest days to shake hands and sip cocktails.

"I've been raising stock all my life, and so did my father before me. Our place is just north of Yellowstone."

He thinks the Class of '27 is one of the youngest he's seen. The silver on some heads doesn't fool him. "Some of you young bucks, my boy who is a junior here now, may think we're old fogies, but the only change I can see in my classmates is that some of them look older. But they don't act older. I can recognize most of them right away."

Mrs. Burns volunteered that the reunion was "colossal." But she would rather the committee had brought some cool Montana weather east for the week.