The Inside Story

At the Olympia

After the rash of Kefauver-inspired moving pictures, it is a distinct pleasure to welcome a film which deals with some of the seamier sides of misdirected reform movements.

The Inside Story traces an investigation of a supposed big time gambling machine by a Senate Investigating Committee. It contains all of the usual elements, a crusading senator (treated here as a switch with Bette Davis in the lead), a wise-cracking chief counsel (Zachary Scott), and a reporter-packed courthouse.

The original touch in this picture however, comes in the fact that the accused "boss" is not guilty. The Senator has been duped by the Chief Counsel, listening to his unsubstantiated charges as he makes love to her overlooking Frisco.

Lippert Productions has put all of its artistic skill into making this picture a realistic documentary. Many of the scenes were filmed on location in Omaha, Nebraska, and director Sam Houston gives the story an especially convincing air by using the townspeople in their normal roles.

Miss Davis, returning to the movies after a well deserved rest, is excellent as the woman who is not quite a politician. Scott is menacing. HERDERT S. MEYERS