Button Chances $10 Fine to Get $150,000 as Pro

Harvard's coolest athlete may get tagged with a $10 fine for registering late at law school this month. But he's being paid $150,000 to do it.

Dick Button, twice Olympic figure skating champion, has signed with the Ice Capades of 1953 to perform the skating twists that won him five world titles. He begins his professional career in Madison Square Gardon on September 11, the day that men from A to L in the first year law class are slated to register.

When informed of Button's planned tardiness, the Law School said it was "usually lenient with fines if the men have a reasonable excuse for lateness." It would not comment specifically on Button, who plans to continue in the show until the 21st.

Limited Dates

Button turned professional on August 29, when he joined the Ice Capades for limited headline engagements. He made it clear at the time, however, that his education will remain uppermost.

A College government major who finished his thesis while winning his second Olympic crown in Europe last winter, Button will skate with the show in Pittsburgh before returning to Law School. During the Christmas vacation, he will appear with the troop in Boston.

The figure skater expects to be in Cambridge in time to catch up on the few missed days.