School Year to End Earlier; Fall Reading Period 8 Days

Several calendar changes, results of the University's attempt to shorten the school year and moye graduation up one week, will be tried this year, the new course catalogue indicates.

Most drastic of the changes is the shortening of the fall reading period to eight days. Last year, the reading period was ten days long, the shortest it had been since the war. At the time, University Hall said this was due to an unusual quirk of the calendar, and should not happen again.

The present short reading period will probably hold in future years, if the revised calendar works our successfully.

Both examination periods will be two days shorter than previously. Last years fall reading period of two weeks has been cut to twelve days this year, and the 15 day spring exam period is now 13 days.

Registration Early

Upperclass registration, traditionally on a Monday or Tuesday, is being held on a Friday this year so that classes can begin on a Monday, Registrar Kennedy said. Freshman registration, usually at the end of the week, was put on a Monday.

There will also be one less day between tht end of fall examinations and registration for the spring term. Formerly two days long, the recess will be only one day this year.

The spring reading period will be the usual three weeks.

The seven days being cut out from the year will, according to Kennedy, bring commencement and the last day of school for undergraduates one week earlier. This was done because Harvard has had later closing dates than most colleges in the country, putting students at a disadvantage in finding summer employment and scheduling trips. Commencement day will be on June 11, instead of the 19th.