Porters Move Out of Dunster, To Operate Only in Yard Dorms

Student porters will work only in the Yard and two grad dorms this year, Arthur D. Trottenburg announced last week.

Started as an experiment last year, the porters worked in Dunster House as well as the Yard.

"We thought it would be more advantageous to put them all in the Yard this year." Trottenburg said. "Dunster is too far away. In the time the porters, mostly freshmen, spend walking there, they could be cleaning rooms and making money."

Trottenberg said he thought the plan was "working very well," and "was more than satisfactory" last year. But it will still be on an experimental basis this year, he added.

"We might shift them around later this year," he said.

The porters, roughly 50 in number, will work in "various Yard dorms," depending on where they live and where a maid shortage exists. Half of the crew worked four days last week getting freshman rooms in shape, for occupancy.

After the first meeting with his staff of porters, Trottenberg said he had a "good team" of men this year. He added he thinks the plan will prove a success.

It was begun last year to fill vacancies made by maids who left for jobs in war industry, and more important, to provide more jobs for those students seeking employment while in college. There were scattered complaints from Dunster residents that the work was not up to the standards set by maids, but student captains remedied this situation.