Significant Change in Radcliffe Government Proposed by Students' Weekend Conference

Preferential Voting is Killed For Elections

Radcliffe's top Student Government officers, and regular class officers will no longer be elected by the preferential system, according to changes recommended by the Cedar Hill Conference last weekend.

Proposed by Adele Gilmore '53, Senior Class President, the new system provides for election of these officers, including President of the 'Cliffe Student Government, by a straight plurality, instead of the point preferential system previously used.

In addition, Cedar Hill recommended substitution the "Hare System" of counting preferential votes for the point system in Student Council elections, if the proposed change from class to dormitory representation on Student Council is passed.

Counts Vary

According to Miss Gilmore, the Hare System is more accurate than the point system, which was introduced by Elizabeth Tucker '52 several years ago, and used for the past three years. Confusion which resulted from use of the point system frequently made several recounts necessary, and last year resulted in widely differing figures after each count.

Changes in the present preferential system of balloting, in elections for commencement and permanent class offices was proposed, and referred to the Student Council for further consideration.