Football Team Beats Springfield, 27 to 7, in Season's First Game

Blitz Scores Once, Culver Gets Three

By Hiller B. Zobel

Local football fans need not feel disappointed because the varsity beat Springfield by only 27 to 7 in Saturday's opener. Although the varsity won--as expected-many had hoped that the margin would be considerably higher.

In point of fact, however, the Crimson did nothing to detract from its advance billing as the best Harvard Squad since 1948.

Springfield did score first, and did shut out the Crimson until half way through the second period. But the Maroon had enjoyed not only spring practice but two outside scrimmages (with Yale and Coast Guard), as well. The Crimson went in without either of these decided advantages.

It took the Crimson a little while to get used to competition, that was all. A pass interference ruling gave the Maroon the ball on the Crimson's eleven at the seven-minute mark of the first period, and Norm Anderson then burst through right tackle to score standing up at 7:14. But after that, Springfield never penetrated beyond the Harvard 40-yard line.

Springfield, as Crimson Coach Lloyd Jordan noted, "brought down a rugged gang of kids." Ossie Solem's well-coached squad featured a fine ball handler in quarterback Hal Haines, some good running backs, and a tenacious defense.

44-Yard March

The Crimson, playing without two-way guard Eli Manos, couldn't organize its attack effectively at first. But with Dick Clasby and John Culver carrying, it managed to stage an 11-play 44-yard march to score at 7:16 of the second period. Bill Monteith booted the first of his three extra points, and the score was tied.

Culver, who scored this time, added two more six-pointers during the afternoon, and ended with a 174-yard total (six yards per carry). Clasby's 152 yards gave him, too, a six-yard average.

Springfield's great chance for an upset followed immediately. Norm Morris took the kickoff on his own six, and ripped along the center of the field all the way to score. A clipping penalty against Spring-field, though, nullified the touchdown.

That was all for the Maroon. The Crimson offense started up for good, and though hampered by penalties (172 yards of them), managed to grind off 388 yards overland. Reserve fullback Jerry Blitz provided a pleasant surprise with some fine, hard running that netted 45 yards in four tries, besides the Crimson's third touchdown. The success of the running game more than offset the failure of the passing attack.

Hank Rato, the starting right end on offense, injured his knee in the second period of Saturday's game and is not expected to play for at least two weeks.

The most important play of the Crimson's second half drive (Harvard led, 14 to 7, at the intermission), was a fake punt on third down, on which Culver smashed over guard for 14 yards and a first down. This helped set up the third, clinching score.

So well-conceived was this fake, that Jordan had the defensive team lined up on the sidelines, apparently ready to go in