Six Crimson Coaches Scout Varsity's Future Opponents

IN the Stadium

By Richard B. Kline

While the varsity was defeating Springfield in the Stadium, at least six members of the Crimson coaching staff were busy thinking about coming Saturday.

Ted Schmitt, the varsity line coach, and Bob Margarita, the freshman coach, were in New York City watching Princeton down Columbia, 14-0, while Jack Jordan, the coach's son and a junior varsity assistant, was at Ithaca, where Colgate upset Cornell, 14-7.

Norm Shepard, the head junior varsity coach, returned to Davidson, where he was athletic director and basketball coach for 13 years, to watch the Wildcats lose to Washington and Lee, 33-14.

Josh Williams, the varsity backfield coach, traveled to Baltimore, where Navy thumped Yale, 31-0, and Henry Lamar, junior varsity assistant coach, sat in on Washington U.'s 27-6 victory over Missouri Mines at St. Louis.

The varsity coaching staff in the Stadium was reduced to two, end coach Joe Maras and head coach Lloyd Jodan. Maras was upstairs on the phone to Jordan, on the Crimson bench.

* * * * *

Art Pappas, starting offensive guard, made a fine debut kicking off. His three boots (End Joe Ross kicked the fourth) were low and deep.

Pappas' best kick, after the Crimson's first touchdown in the second periods, carried to the Springfield six-yard line, where Norm Morris took it and returned it all the way. A clipping penalty nullified the touchdown, however.

* * * * *

In the post-game press conference, Coach Jordan called for careful interpretation by officials of the new more stringent regulations concerning unnecessary roughness.

The new rules call for mandatory expulsion from the game of guilty players, if, called, although no players from either team were banished.

"The officials must remember," Jordan commented, "that football is a rough game."

* * * * *

Those "new" Crimson jerseys weren't really new. They were lightweight jerseys which will be used as long as the weather stays warm.

According to Jimmy Farrell, who is in charge of equipment, the jerseys are made of a rayon-mixture which doesn't take a dye too well; hence, the "pink" color. Come cooler weather, the darker Crimson jerseys will be used once again.

* * * * *

Jordan said he was very much pleased with the performances of sophomores Frank Yaffe and time Anderson, who were playing in their first varsity game. Yaffe saw action as a defensive left end and Anderson as a defensive right guard.

* * * * *

Despite a five-yard kick in the third period, Dick Clasby had an impressive punting average of 37 yard in five attempts. Not counting the five-yard kick, Clasby was averaging better than 44 yards per kick.