Yale's Daily News Gives Stevenson Editorial Support

The Yale Daily News, undergraduate daily, last night announced its support of Governor Adlai E. Stevenson, Democratic presidential nominee. In 1948 the paper supported Governor Thomas E. Dewey, Republican candidate.

The self-styled "Liberal Republican" newspaper thus became the first daily paper in the state of Connecticut to support the Democratic Presidential nominee.

John M. Thomson, Daily News chairman, made the decision to support Governor Stevenson. Thomson, who decides all the paper's editorial policies, is noted for his generally liberal policy.

The Daily News editorial called Stevenson "patently a man who would rather be right than be President." It praised him for his "unswerving faith in the intellect and reason of the American people."

According to one of the News editors, who withheld his name, the Daily will initiate its campaign support with a full-page assortment of editorials, quotes from Stevenson, and "other blurbs."

Asked how much support the candidates have received from the News in recent years, the editor said that "in the past every election has brought some support from the Daily."