Conant Opposed German Industry

President Conant told the Foreign Policy Association in November 1944 that Germany's industrial power must be done away with for a generation and that he would "not rely on political subdivisions of enemy territory" to prevent a third world war.

Conantm made the speech in New York at the invitation of John J. McCloy, former U.S. High Commissioner in Germany. He said the possible economic shakeup in Europe which might result from doing away with Germany's industrial power would be preferable to a third world war.

Warns of Revenge

He warned of a feeling of revenge which Germans of the present generation would have toward their conquerors and advocated all power to wage another war be taken from them. In order to effect this he outlined a plan by which Germany would receive its electrical power from other countries, thus making it possible for this supply to be shut off it Germany attempted to rearm.

He suggested that such drastic alterations in the industrial scene be made at the outset of German occupation so that relatively little continuing interference would have to be made in Germany's internal affairs.