Ufford Wins Scholar-Athlete Award

All American soccer player and intercollegiate squash champion Charlie Ufford has received the Francis Hardon Burr Scholarship as the outstanding scholar-athlete in the Class of 1953, it was announced yesterday.

The scholarship, won last year by Olympic figure skating champion Dick Button, is awarded to the member of the graduating class "who best combines the qualities of scholarship, leadership, character, and athletic ability."

Ufford, a resident of Lowell House, is a History honors candidate. Besides being outstanding in soccer and squash, he played number one position on the tennis team the past two years.

Captain of the soccer team for the second straight year this fall, Ufford was elected an All American by the National Collegiate Soccer Coaches Association. Last year he was named to the All-New England team and was also on the Olympic tryout squad. He has played at right halfback for three years.

He was runner-up in the National Intercollegiate Squash Championships three years ago, won the tournament last year, and is heavily favored to repeat this February at Buffalo. As top player at Harvard for the past two years, he twice won the Collegiate Invitational Tournament in New York.

The scholarship was established in memory of Francis H. Burr '09, first marshal of his class and captain of the football team. He died a year after his graduation. Besides playing four years on the football squad, he also played one year on the baseball team.