Publishers Award Writing Prizes to MacLeish, DeVoto

A University professor and a former lecturer have won National Book Awards for the most distinguished writing published in 1952.

Archibald MacLeish, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, received the award in poetry for his book, Collected Poems, 1917-1952. Bernard DeVote '18 received top honors in non-fiction for his The Course of Empire, which traces the early exploration of America.

MacLeish is cited for "the range and distinction of his poetic achievement over a period of 35 years and for the courage with which he has handled vital contemporary themes."

A former Pulitzer Prize Winner, MacLeish had served as Librarian of Congress and Undersecretary of State before coming here. He is on leave of absence from the University during the spring term.

The awards are presented annually by the book industry for the most outstanding works of the year in the fields of fiction, non-fiction, and poetry by American authors.

Gold Medals

For fiction, Ralph Ellison, Negro writer of Oklahoma City, was cited for his novel, invisible Man.

Each of the winners received gold medals at a ceremony at the Hotel Commodore in New York City, attended by more than 1,000 authors, critics, and book publishers from throughout the nation.

This was MacLeish's second major award in three weeks. On January 9 he received the 1952 Bollingen Prize in Poetry, sponsored by the Yale University Library.