Mulvihill Will Not Seek Top HUERA Post Again

Daniel G. Mulvihill announced last night that he would not run again for the presidency of the HUERA.

"I am not resigning. I just did not file papers for my renomination," the 70-year-old former Law School janitor said. "I do not agree with many of the labor policies advocated by some of the younger men in the union. I felt I should step aside to give these men a chance to choose new policies."

So far only one man, Elwin Wyman, has field his petition for the presidency of the HUERA, and is expected to win the election unopposed on February 10. As president of the Harvard University Employees Representative Association, he will represent all janitors and maids in disputes with the University.

Police Spilt

Fiery center of struggles within and without the HUERA, Mulvihill has maintained control over a gradually diminishing group for 12 years. Two years ago the maintainance men in the organization split away in a dispute over paying Mulvihill a salary. This year the policemen followed them over the same dispute.

"They wanted to be in the limelight. They hurt themselves by splitting off and are now beginning to realize it," Mulvihill said.

General opinion among janitors and maids was that without Mulvihill the rival A.F. of L. would have a good chance of taking over the HUERA's duties. Most were very sorry to see him leave.

Although no strikes have ever developed out of the HUERA's 16 years of dealing with the University, wages and other benefits have more than doubled during those years, Mulvihill indicated.

When he became the second president of the union in 1941, maids were earning $.39 an hour, working every day of the year except Christmas. Today the maids receive $.96 an hour for a five day week. Janitors' pay has increased from $.58 an hour to $1.42 an hour. Vacations sick pay, and retirement benefits have also been obtained during his regime.