College Considers Tuition Hike of 100 to 200 Dollars

Corporation Has Not Received Plan Yet, States Reynolds

Tuition rates may jump to an all-time high of $700 to $800 a year, the CRIMSON learned yesterday. The Administration is considering a move to hike students' bills by $200 sometime in the near future.

"The proposal has not yet reached the Corporation and no official action has been taken," Edward Reynolds '15, administrative vice-president, said last night.

President Conant first hinted at the possibility of the rise in his report when he pointed to a 50 percent increase in the University's expenditures during the past 12 years.

May Reduce Enrollment

Conant also stated plans to cut down University enrollment by one thousand. This may coincide with the new rates next fall.

Informed sources indicated last night that although the proposal is still in a tentative stage, the Administration is considering including more than class fees in the new fee. It may institute a system similar to Yale's $1,600 all-inclusive fee. Yale raised its rates last spring.

During the past two years all the Ivy League colleges except Harvard have undergone a round of tuition boosts.

The last raise enforced by the University was the March, 1949 change from $525 to $600 a year. A year before the Corporation had upped the rate to $525 from $400, a figure set in 1929.

No increase Seen

In 1950, when the new charges were announced Provest Buck commented that the move was "a necessary part of Harvard's adjustment to normal operations after the post-war bulge of veteran expanded enrollment." Buck then optimistically predicted. "The present rise in tuition may well be our final increase, assuming that economic conditions are now stabilizing."

Instead, as Conant wrote, a return to more usual conditions has not brought a corresponding drop in expenditures. "Instead," he stated, "they rose rapidly and have continued to rise."

The 1951-52 financial report showed that the University departmental expenditures exceeded its departmental income for the first time since the war. Last year's loss of $161.884.87 contrasis sharply with a 1950-51 profit of nearly $200,000. The '52 expenses showed an overall increase of approximately one and one half million dollars.