Six Wins 'Bean Pot' Tourney; Five Drops Vacation Games

Basketball Team Loses to Navy, Washington, Pittsburgh, Nebraska on Western Excursion

The varsity basketball team, following Dana Getchell's schedule and Horace Greeley's advice, spent an unsuccessful vacation, losing all three of its western games by 21 points or more, and helping one team set a new scoring record.

Exactly what did happen to Norman Shepard's team is difficult to tell. Although no one expected the Crimson to beat all its opponents, local fans hoped the-team would top at least one of the three--Washington University of St. Louis, Pittsburgh, and the University of Nebraska.

Straight from a terrible beating from Navy's powerful team at Annapolis, the varsity met Pitt two days after Christmas. The Crimson trailed favored Navy by over 30 points at the end of the third quarter, when Middle coach Ben Carnavie substituted heavily.

Against Pittsburgh, however, the Crimson showed little: the Panthers won 72 to 48, with Bill Dennis the only Crimson player to break double figures with 16 points. Dennis scored 23 points against Navy.

Shepard shuffled his lineup New Years Day when the varsity played Washington. Sophomore Dick Manning, formerly used as substitute center, opened at the forwards with Dennis, while Captain Dick Lionette played center, and Harry Sacks--up to then a forward--teamed with Paul Shaw at the guards.

Dennis played the pivot--well, according to Missourians, and with only three minutes left in the half, the teams were tied, 21 to 21. But the Bears, eager for revenge after their football defeat, spurted to a 32 to 21 halftime lead, and continued to outplay Harvard in the second half, eventually winning, 62 to 41. Dennis was high man for the varsity with 14 points, some of them jump shots from the pivot. Manning rebounded well, and blocked several shots on defense.

Nebraska Sets Record

At this point, almost completely submerged under the weight of its four game losing streak, the team journeyed to Nebraska for its last game. The A.P. called the game a "warm-up before the opening of the Big Seven Conference competition." The Huskers generated enough heat to win 92 to 53, setting a new team scoring record in the process.

Bob Johnson scored 26 points for Nebraska, while George Good got 16. Dennis again led Harvard, this time with 14. Ed Krinsky, substitute guard, who had scored seven points against Washington, made three field goals and three fouls for nine points and was second high man for the varsity. Sophomore Rollin Perry scored seven, while classmate Paul Shaw got six.

Fortunately, however, Washington, Nebraska, and Pittsburgh are not in the Ivy League; the Crimson's losses won't count in the standings and the team--which played Cornell to overtime at Ithaca--can get back into things by beating Columbia Wednesday night in New York.