Berserk Yale Man Held in Colorado After Shooting 2

A Yale University junior is under arrest in Aurora, Colo., awaiting possible arraignment on attempted murder charges as a result of a wild shooting spree in front of his father's home Thursday night.

Robert L. Johnson '55 of Aurora and Yale's Saybrook College, wounded two Aurora policemen, one of whom was his own uncle, before being seized and disarmed. Police conjectured that recent reported family difficulties deranged Johnson and he intended to threaten his father's life. When surprised on the street-by police officers, he suddenly went berserk, it is believed, and opened fire without warning.

According to New Haven sources, Johnson disappeared Tuesday morning, but was not officially reported mission until Wednesday night. Then New Haven police sent out a nation-wide description and broadcast a 13 state alarm for the student. Suspecting that Johnson might be headed for Colorado, the New Haven police station alerted the police of Denver and Aurora, a Denver suburb where Johnson's father and stepmother reside.

A police guard, including Johnston's uncle, a deputy sheriff, was immediately posted around the Johnson home. When the youth appeared on Thursday night, the officers moved to stop him and the shooting occurred. Johnson's uncle suffered a leg would and another policeman was shot in the hand.

Johnson was reported to have appeared depressed and nervous prior to his disappearances from New Haven. He is also known to have purchased in New Haven a 22 caliber pistol, the weapon used in the Colorado shooting, within the past few weeks.