Churchmen Contradict Charge Against Hughes

Association Supports Cambridge Minister Despite 'Red' Blast

The Cambridge Ministers' Association yesterday contradicted accusations by Herbert Philbrick by asserting their faith in the Rev. Kenneth dePew Hughes as a "true minister of the Gospel." Philbrick had charged before the House UnAmerican Activities Committee last month that Hughes, minister at St. Bartholomew's of Cambridge, was "another of those who worked with the Communist Party over a number of years."

The Association, composed of the 45 Protestant and Jewish religious leaders of Cambridge, emphasized their belief in the "fundamental incompatibility between Christianity and Soviet Communism."

Similar Objectives

"If a Communist group claims to be working for objectives similar to those of a Christian minister, it does not necessarily follow the minister is Communist or influenced by Communists," the Association noted.

The ministers expressed concern over two facets of the former FBI undercover agent's testimony and pointed out that Philbrick admitted during the hearing that his testimony was not supported by "legal evidence which would stand up in the United States Court of Law" and that Hughes was not given opportunity to defend himself.

Fletcher Denies Charge

Another minister named by Philbrick, the Rev. Joseph F. Fletcher of the faculty of the Episcopal Theological School, was defended by all of the Association members who knew him.

Fletcher, called by Philbrick "one of those who worked with my group on Communist Party projects," categorically denied the ex-FBI man's assertion. Philbrick's testimony, made in July, before a closed session of the Committee, was made public for the first time Sept. 15.

Fletcher in a separate statement vowed, "I am not and never have been a Communist . . . . I have never been under the discipline of or had any commitment to the Communist Party, and I have never in any way, or at any time, sought or accepted any kind of connection with the Communist Party."