Strong Green Soccer Team Meets Crimson Here Today

By Peter G. Palches

Dartmouth's soccer team, the scourge of New England last year, and highest scoring team in the area this year, will seek its fifth straight victory over the Crimson this afternoon at 2:00 on the Business School Field.

The visiting Indians have piled up an amazing total of 22 goals to date, while winning three games and losing one to upstart Amherst, 4 to 3. Captain and inside left Bob Drawbaugh has scored more goals himself than has the entire Crimson squad. He leads, in fact, 11 to 8.

Brace Munro's squad, with its so-so, two win-two loss record, will be at very nearly full strength for the encounter. Only Stacy Holmes, inside right, will be unable to see action. Dick Fisher, starter at that position today, played such a good game against Wesleyan, scoring the only goal, that he can scarcely be considered a substitute.

Several of the players, however, will be taped up for the game. Marv Weiss will have his ribs bandaged because of a torn ligament. Goalie Peto Briggs has water on the knee and Lindsay Fischer may have to take his position. Juan Rodrigues will play with a taped leg.

Few Dartmouth Injuries

Dartmouth has been relatively immune to injury this year. Center forward Egil Stigum is one of the few victims. He missed three of the earlier games, but he will start today. Stigum, Drawbaugh, and inside right Bud Addis form the core of the Green scoring threat. Addis excels at setting up for Drawbaugh. Stigum is a tricky dribbler and goal-getter in his own right.

Dartmouth is average on defense except for a brilliant goalie, senior Don Swanson. Dartmouth coach Tom Dent calls him "a dream player, someone who comes along once in a hundred years." Swanson came out late, missing the first two games.

The Indians beat the University of Massachusetts, 9 to 1; University of Connecticut, 3 to 1; and Williams, 7 to 0. The Crimson squad also defeated Williams, but in a tightly fought, overtime 2 to 1 game.

Haegler Crimson Center Forward

Alex Haegler has the Crimson's center forward assignment, and Weiss, if he starts, will be at center halfback. He will see limited action at best. The probable line, from left to right, will be Godfrey Truslow, Bob Lloyd, Haegler, Fisher, and Bill Lingolbach. The halves will be Bob Dean, Weiss--possibly Denny Little or Steve Szaras--and Rusty MacIntosh. Rodriguez and Charlie Platt will start as fullbacks, and Briggs will be in the goal.

Bill Cowperthwaite and Dick Elwell, substitute linemen, and Hugh Sargent, second string fullback, are fairly sure to see action.

The Dartmouth team will arrive at approximately 10:30 in Boston. The football squad and a few students will be on the same train. Most of the Hanoverians will make the trip later in the afternoon, however.

Dartmouth is favored in this afternoon's game.