Bushnell Doubts NCAA Would Apply Force on Ivy

By David L. Halberstam

Asa Bushnell, Eastern head of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, said last night that the NCAA probably would not bring any pressure against the Ivy League if it makes a complete break from the Association.

This means that the Ivy schools, in the event of a separation from the NCAA, would still be able to play Association teams in all sports.

"I can't foresee any pressure by the NCAA in the event of break," Bushnell said.

A possible split between the Ivy group and the Association was discussed by a Harvard official last spring when the College and Yale revealed that they would not abide by the NCAA's television ruling. The official, blaming a reluctance to have policy set by an outside group instead of the Ivy itself, then predicted that a complete break "would probably take place within the next 12 months."

Tight Ivy Schedule

The issue was reopened Wednesday when it was learned that the Ivy colleges will soon announce a new tightly-knit League calling for each member to play a complete seven game Ivy schedule. It is known that League independence was needed before the schools dare break with the Association. Once they have their own league and can count on seven games a complete separation seems possible.

Bushnell also discounted the likelihood of a break.

"I don't believe there's any possibility of that coming--the Ivy colleges are active and interested members of the NCAA." Referring to the discontent at Harvard and Yale, and the prediction of a separation, Bushnell added "I don't think that's the feeling of even a sizable part. I think most of them are quite willing to go along with the NCAA on policy matters and let the Association make the policy decisions.

"A break would be a blow to the NCAA, but I think it would be a far worse blow to the Ivy colleges themselves," Bushnell said.