Vice Squad Takes Nudes from Local Stages

"Mais ou sent les nues d'antan?" mused Pierre, left bank expatriate, as he wandered forlornly through Scollay Square last night.

Pierre was right; the nudes are no longer to be found. Boston vice squad members arrested three burlesque performers Thursday night and charged them with "open and gross lewdness."

Evidence of the crack-down on vice was shown in the worried faces of the managers of the Old Howard Athenaeum and the Casino, local burlesque houses. Neither would permit CRIMSON photographers to take pictures of their performers last night, though police state they will document their charges with films they took.

Key Hole Shot

Nevertheless, by shooting through a key hole in the dressing room of Mary Goodneighbor, professionally known as Irma the Body, a CRIMSON photographic candidate last night got the picture reproduced on the right.

Miss Body is shown practicing one of her acts in the privacy of her dressing room. When informed her picture had been taken, she praised the photographer for his resourcefulness, but moaned, "I wasn't even posing. How could you do this to me?"