Grass Roots Democracy

Brass Tacks

By William M. Beecher

A newly naturalized 22-year-old College senior, feeling the need to do something constructive for his adopted country, has thrown his brand new hat into the Cambridge political arena.

Manuel J. Ponte '54, who emigrated with his peasant parents from Portugal in 1946 and has been a citizen for less than tow years, is currently campaigning for one of the nine seats on the Cambridge City Council. Ponte tells of many compelling reasons which decided him on seeking political office.

"As the son Portuguese peasants I walked barefoot till I was seven," he declares with a slight accent. "At 15 we came to the United Sates. Here we found more than a chance to get ahead. Even though many were uninterested in politics, still there was the freedom (and he said this word with unusual feeling and meaning) that made this nation great and dynamic."

In the spring of 1950, while trying our for the baseball team, Ponte suddenly collapsed in Briggs Cage, Hygiene Department doctors diagnosed his case as acute tuberculosis, giving him nine days to live. He pulled through--but during his convalescence, he heard of the death in Korea of a close high school friend. "That boy who was born in this country had a right to the freedom I enjoyed," he said. "If he could fight, why shouldn't I? Upon release from the sanitarium, Ponte tried desperately to enlist in the army. But he was classified 4F. He tried to join the ROTC, and again was rejected.

"I feel obliged to the Unites States," he says simply. "Through politics I can fight for democratic principles." For instance, Ponte, a Government concentrator, charges that East Cambridge has been "pushed around," and has not had a representative on the City Council for several years. He describes a personal abuse which he calls typical.

His father, a casket polisher, worked hard and bought a home. Soon afterward, and without warning, a warehouse was built next door, thus devaluating the property. "Before a building is to be out up, people in the neighborhood must be informed by law, so they can appeal to the City Council. But they are not notified," he claims. Pone speaks of municipal collusion and bribery, but has yet no documented proof to back his charges.

Admitting that his youth might hinder his chances for election, the good-looking senior said, "I believe that since we youngsters have to face the future, we must have a say in shaping it."

Ponte worked last summer as a doorman at the University Theatre to earn money for his campaign. For reason of health he is not allowed to do very heavy labor. "The money is about gone," he confided, "though the campaign is just starting."

Planning to carry his message to whomever will listen, Ponte, who speaks several languages, will talk on street corners and before small organizations. He is one of 35 non-partisan candidates vying for the nine seats on the City Council.

"Cambridge elections have been frozen for the last few years," Ponte says. "Son follows father, nephew follows uncle. Well established machines have a large number of bell ringers to talk up their man. Candidates often stay in the background. No one gets to know them, yet they win anyway, It's pretty tough for a newcomer."