Yale Researchers Absolve Colleges In Drinking Issue

The group of men who run Yale's Center of Alcohol studies have decided after careful sampling of both post game drinking behavior and post game punch, that the drinking habits of American college students are formed before they enter college.

Chapter Four of their 200 page recipe book, "Drinking in College," bluntly entitled "Who Drinks?" discloses that 69 per cent of males and 46 per cent of female college students drink in their freshman year.

By senior year these numbers have grown to 87 and 77 per cent.

But these figures are deceiving, according to the scientists, who insist that students are at the crucial age in drinking development during college. "Each advancing year increases the probability that experimentation in the adult custom of drinking will be tried,' they claim.

According to the Yalies, drinking has become a major custom of our society, and college drinking in merely a reflection of the times. They point out that in nine cases out of ten, both parents of the drinking student also imbibe.

The book challenges the theory that college drinking causes public and private incidents and unpleasantness. "Most student drinking has no untoward consequences."