Crimson Harriers Defeat BU For Second Victory of Fall

Terriers Take Both Firsts; Gerry, San Souci Place High

BU runners took two firsts, but the Crimson cross country squads scored their second victories of the year against the Terriers at Franklin Field yesterday. The varsity won 24 to 37, the Yardlings 20 to 43.

Individual varsity honors went to John Kelly of the Terriers, who cames in first with a winning time of 20:12.5. Second and third places fell to the Crimson, with Hal Gerry and Emil San Souci clocking 21:08.5, and 21:51.0.

Kelly, rated among the East's top college distance runners, was favored to win, although Coach Bill McCurdy had expected Gerry to give him a closer race because of his 20:40.0 time against Providence last weekend.

Fourth place went to the Terriers' Thakery. Don French and Frank Nahigian took fifth and sixth for the Crimson, followed by Bill Smith of BU, Bill Engs and Paul Beck of the Crimson, and Beck-with of the Terriers.

Yardlings Look Good

The Crimson freshmen took every place except first. Veteran George Terry, the brother-in-law of varsity winner Kelly, took first on a shorter course in 14:54. He was the only BU runner to place in the freshman meet.

Yardlings Bill Morris, Jim Cairns, and Dave McLean took second, third, and fourth places for the Crimson in 15:17, 15:20, and 15:22. Six other Yardlings placed to complete the score.

Last Friday the Crimson defeated a highly-favored Providence College team for its first fall victory.

Still riding high, the harriers will meet Brown in quest of a third win tomorrow. With such a short interval between meets, the teams will probably have only a light workout this afternoon.