Divinity Students Declare No Basic Changes Needed

Divinity School students yesterday applauded President Pusey's interest in the school's improvement, but urged him not to "devitalize it in the process of revitalizing."

In a statement to the CRIMSON, the men, including a number of student leaders, said Pusey's approach, as indicated by his recent speech, is "a welcome change after the inattention received during the Conant regime."

They added, however, that although the school badly needs improvement in physical badly needs improvement in physical plant and scope of curriculum, "there should be no important change in the sound basic approach and great liberal tradition."

Commenting on the speech and Pusey's recent statements to the CRIMSON, the students said that if it is the President's intention to change the standards of facilities and entrance requirements he is on the right track. On the other hand, they said, "if he is planning a change in the standards of education and curriculum, we feel he is ill-advised."

Low Standards a Myth

"It is possibly easier to get into the Divinity School than most other schools in the University, but it is not easier to get a degree," they added. "The belief common around the University that educational standards here are low is nothing but a myth."

"What is neded at the school," they said, "is more of the same thing, simply an extension of the sound program we already have. We have a top-notch faculty and a good curriculum; both simply need to be added to."

They unanimousy praised Acting Dean George H. Williams as a "fine man doing a good, conscientious job and showing a great personal interest in the student body," adding that they hoped Williams would not be overlooked in the search for a new permanent Dean.

Among the students in the group were J. Frank Schulman 3Dv, president of the Student Association, James A. Vendettuoli, Jr., past president of the association and now a doctoral candidate at the school; Dudley W. Wiegand, also a graduate and editor of the "Scribe," the school newspaper; Carl Whittier 2Dv, and Glen Blake 1Dv.