Slight Drops in Enrollments Noted by College, University

Enrollment in both the College and the University as a whole has dropped slightly from last year, it was announced yesterday.

The College total went from 4,414 in 1952 to 4,334, a net loss of 30. University enrollment decreased 35, from last year's 10,144 to 10,061.

Sargent Kennedy '28, Registrar of the College, said yesterday the College decrease was due to the administration's effort to slice the freshman class from last year's 1,215 to a figure nearer the "ideal" level of 1,100.

Kennedy said this effort was made because the College has been seeking during the past few years to gradually cut its enrollment below the 4,400 level.

This year's figures are as follows; Seniors, 947; Juniors, 1,037; Sophomores, 1,123; Freshmen, 1,150, and third term freshmen and others, 128.

Leading in the rest of the University is the Law School with 1,518 students as compared to 1,475 last year, a rise of 43.

Second largest is the Business School, which nevertheless showed a drop from last year's enrollment of 1,390 to 1,138. from last year's enrollment of 1,390 to 1,138.

GSAS Enrollment Drops

The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, including the Division of Engineering Sciences, also showed a decrease in the past year; from 1,380 to 1,359.

The Medical School with 530, the Dental School with 60 and Public Health School with 108, all remained very stable.

Other totals were as follows: Design School, 144; Divinity School, 120; Education School, 216; Candidates for Masters Degrees in Teaching, 103; Public Administration, including Agricultural Fellows, 94; Society of Fellows, 23; Trade Union Fellows, 16; Nieman Fellows, 15, and Special Students,30.