JV Football Opens Season Vs. Nichols at 2:30 P.M.

A junior varsity football team--suffering heavily from supplying the varsity with many of its key players--opens its fall campaign this afternon against Nichols Junior College at 2:30 p.m. on the latter's field in Dudley.

Coach Norman Shepard will field an eleven which is not as strong as the team which defeated Nichols last October. "We're going to miss the speed and experience of backs Walter Greeley and Joe Conzelman," Shepard explains. He has had trouble finding the power of last year's line. "They're going to be hard to replace."

The jayvee's will mix up their offensive plays between single-wing and T formation. The team has operated out of a T against the varsity, but Shepard expects to use both this afternoon. "We've run T most of the time in practice because that's what the varsity opponent's run," he says.

Today's game marks the third in a series beginning two years ago. Nichols and the Crimson have each won one game.

Nichols Uses T

Against the Nichols T formation, the Crimson line averages 180 pounds. John Amory and Walter Bregman hold down the end slots, with Don Weber and John Volkert at tackle positions. Pete Morrison, heaviest man on the squad, fills out left guard, while Tony Caimi plays right guard. Center is Bainy Coon.

Sophomore John Neger will double as blocking back and quarterback. Lightest man in the backfield, junior Paul Murphy, at 165 pounds, is tailback. Sophomore Terry Cheek can be expected to handle the wide sweeps and quick bucks from his halfback slot. The third sophomore back, Nort Nager, weighs 190 pounds and plays fullback.

Shepard felt his team had not shown up as well in practice against the varsity as last year. "But then, the varsity's been much better," he said.