McCormack Finds Confusion in GOP

Confusion, weakness, and failure are the characteristics of a year of the "Raw Deal," John W. McCormack (D-Mass), House Minority Leader charged last night.

Speaking before an open meeting of the Young Democrats, in Emerson Hall, McCormack accused the Republicans of deliberately undertaking to bring about a "mild" economic regression. "They've done it deliberately! They can't deny it! They've got to answer for it!" he thundered.

"Roosevelt made his own decisions and Truman made his, but I have a strong suspicion that President Eisenhower is not making many decisions; everyone else is making them for him."

The Republicans should "harmonize their public statements," he said. Top Republican leaders often make confused, contradictory remarks, he added, and this is extremely harmful to the national interest. Other countries cannot possibly know whom to believe.

The Republican move to wipe out controls was a disastrous one, the Minority leader stated. As a result of "their dangerous leadership," the American people have become "engendered with fear."

McCormack also warned that "We've got to watch the Soviet Union now, because although democratic governments don't engage in sneak attacks, totalitarian governments do"

The Massachusetts Democrat has been in the House of Representatives since 1929, and he was Majority Leader under both FDR and Truman.