Booters Lose to Springfield, 3-1; Try Only 8 Shots

Springfield College, by a score of 3 to 1, handed the varsity soccer team its third straight loss yesterday in a cold and windswept contest at Springfield.

The host team jumped to an early lead when Tim Farrier put the ball past starting goalie Pete Briggs. Crimson wing Bill Cowperthwaite set up the play that squared matters shortly thereafter and got credit for the goal when the ball bounced off a Springfield defender and into the cage.

The teams fought on even terms for the rest of the first half. Munro commended his squad at the half for their aggressive play and the outlook was quite optimistic for the Crimson as the second half got under way.

But Springfield's Art Johnson quickly put his team into the lead at the two minute mark of the third quarter, and the Crimson trailed for the remainder of the game. Bob Carrier added Springfield's last goal at 11:30 of the same period, Munro subsequently cleared the bench.

Few Attempts

The Crimson took only eight shots at the Springfield cage. The Crimson has taken few....shots all season, but yesterday's total marked a season's low.

Munro played the first team against the second team on Tuesday with the intention of starting the team that won. The first team won, but Munro substituted more than usual yesterday in an effort to find a scoring spark.

Brown is the next varsity opponent. The Bruins play here at noon Saturday in the last home game of the season for the Crimson. The team ends its season at Yale the next Friday.