D.A. Probes Infractions Of Teachers Oath Here

Suspects Markham, Furry, and Kamin

An investigator for the Middlesex County District Attorney's Office this week began a probe into possible violations of the Massachusetts Teachers Oath by three University faculty members.

The three, named yesterday by District Attorney George E. Thompson, are Wendell H. Furry, associate professor of Physics, Helen Dean Markham, assistant professor of Anatomy, and Leon J. Kamin, research associate in Social Relations.

All three testified last spring before congressional investigating committees, and were unfriendly witnesses. Markham refused to testify about either past or present membership in the Communist Party, Furry said he had not been a member since 1951, and Kamin would say only that he was not a member at the present time.

To Defend the Constitution

The Teacher's Oath, passed in 1935, requires teachers in universities and schools in Massachusetts to swear to defend and protect the constitution of the United States and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. A fine of up to $1,000 for violation was added in 1948.

The investigation, which is being conducted by State Police Lt. Detective James F., Coniff, is part of a general inquiry on suspected infractions in local colleges and schools. It was begun after Thomas A. Dorgan, clerk of the Suffolk Superior Court, wrote a letter to Thompson.

Dorgan Letter

In his letter, Dorgan said he "believed that the citizens of Massachusetts and especially those of Middlesex Country are entitled to know whether or not there was a violation of the law."

Dorgan last night said he asked in his letter that the three Harvard faculty members be checked, adding, "This is just the start. I'm going after a lot of others. There are about 15 others in the area who have violated the oath."