Promised Independence

Serving as a Communist punching-bag in the Far East, Indo-China has long been a target for a vitiating guerilla war. For seven years the French army in Indo-China has withstood the Communist while vainly trying to muster enough native support to drive them out. Only a promise of complete independence for Indo-China can rally nationalist support, for the persistent French colonialism which precipitated the war still discourages the Indo-Chinese from resisting the Communists' guerilla attacks.

Although last July France promised that some day it would grant Indo-China "independence," it apparently spoke with tongue-in-cheek. For the recent Viet-Namese resolution which declared that Indo-China wanted complete freedom at the end of the war aroused quick opposition in Paris. The same French government which had just accepted $385,000,000 in U.S. aid to "break up and destroy the regular enemy forces in Indo-China" immediately sought, in indignation, a quick exit from the fight by threatening to withdraw if the Viet-Namese continued to seek independence instead of throwing their entire strength against the Communists. Ho Chi Minh must have smiled when his enemy went on to announce hopefully that "it would accept a peaceful settlement" in the struggle for Indo-China.

Many Frenchmen although clamoring for peace realize that winning the war and controlling Indo-China are incompatible goals. A perilous drain of French resources has been the main result of prolonged warfare. Yet if the French withdraw their troops "because the natives have asked for independence and have not thrown their full effort into the war" they will deed the Communists a priceless chunk of real-estate, and endanger every free country in the Far East.

After seven years in battle, the French have assumed as much responsibility for Indo-China's military protection as the United States has for Korea's; France can hardly leave Indo-China until she has trained enough native troops to take over the war. The listless fighting of the Bao Dai forces has demonstrated that a guarantee of complete independence within a few years is the prerequisite to raising more troops. By undermining the appeal of the Communist anti-imperialist slogans, this promise would also weaken the Red clutch on crucial Northern Viet-Nam. Not only pride out conscience should compel the French to set up the goal of independence so the Indo-Chinese natives can the goal of independence so the Indo-Chinese natives can be taught to do for themselves what Europeans have been unable to do for them.