Trouble With Sponsor Prompts Cancellation Of Entry in Polo Loop

The College will have no polo team this year because of disagreements between the sponsor and the team, Louis D, LeFevre '54 said yesterday. As a result of these difference, the entire team, approximately 20 members, has given up plans for intercollegiate polo.

LeFevre, spokesman for the loosely-organizes team, said undergraduates had been invited early in the term to form a polo team by a representative of a national polo association. Under terms of the agreement, the association would pay all expenses for the team and would supply the horses. The team would play other Ivy League colleges with polo squads, including Cornell and Yale. The association felt that the increased interest in polo would make its expenses worthwhile.

LeFevre talked to Athletic Director Thomas D. Bolles, who appeared the plan and offered athletic letters for participants.

Difficulties first developed in October when the representative for the association cut the supply of horses from 30 to 20. Team members also protested when he moved the stable to the South Weymouth fair ground. LeFevre said that the final break came when the association indicated that it was forming a similar team at Boston College which would use the Harvard polo horses. "I pulled out," LeFevre said, "and the team felt it couldn't tag along any further." The other members have now also dropped from the team.