Radcliffe Grants Seniors Privilege Of Asking 5 a.m. Signout Permission

Radcliffe seniors gained a chance to recapture the men the freshmen have stolen from them when a Senior Privilege allowing 5 a.m. signouts went into effect last night.

Under the rules of the signout, a senior who ranks in Group V or above may signout from her dormitory as late as 11 p.m. and specify that her return will be as late as 5 a.m. Freshmen have 21 "one o'clock" during the first semester, with 10 p.m. as the usual deadline.

Seniors were urged to use the privilege "with discretion." A girl is not expected to sign out to the "U.T." until 4:30 a.m. or to the Square every night until 3 a.m. Seniors must still request overnight permissions.

The Board of Hall Presidents may withdraw the privilege from any girl who abuses it.

Late Signout Defeated

Earlier this fall, the Radcliffe Board of Deans denied a Student Council motion to allow an 11 p.m. deadline on all signouts. Students may still request permission to sign out later than 10 p.m. from head residents and hall presidents.

A poll of students conducted last spring by the "Radcliffe News" was the basis for the campaign for late signouts. Another all-college poll a few weeks ago showed that Radcliffe students were i favor of a trial period for the 11 p.m. deadline.

Radcliffe Dean said they felt that quiet in the dorms would be disturbed if too may girls began signing out regularly until 11 p.m.