NBC Has Council, Loses in School; Wagner Tops NY

Independent candidates for the five member School Committee won control ever the New Boston Committee endorsees on the basis of two-thirds of the returns in yesterday's elections.

Michael J. Ward and present School Committee members Mary K. Fitzgerald and William F. Carr held lead positions. Behind them were Louis F. Musco and Joseph Lee, an NBC man.

The NBC, however looked certain to hold a majority in the nine-man City Council.

Democrats took four key posts in results announced for yesterday's off-year elections. As of early this morning, the Republicans had not won a single important scat.

Robert F. Wagner, Jr. was elected Mayor of New York in the biggest Democratic city-wide landslide in eight years. He won with expected ease, piling up a margin of almost 2 to 1 over his nearest rival, Republican Harold Riegelman, in four of the five boroughs. They split evenly in the fifth. Liberal Party candidate Rudolph Halley, with 370,000 votes, was third behind Riegelman's 527,000 and Wagner's 823,000.

Across the river in New Jersey, Robert B. Meyner was elected the state's first Democratic governor in ten years in a contest billed as a popularity test for the Elsenhower administration. Incomplete returns, gave Meyner 742,587 votes to 581,900 for his rival, Republican Pal L. Troast.

Democrat for House

In the only contest for U.S. House of Representatives, another Democrat, Harrison A. Williams, Jr., led Republican George F. Hetfield in the 6th New Jersey district 2 to 1 in 100 of 305 polling districts.

In Virginia, Democrat Thomas B. Stanley, backed by the powerful Byrd organization, defeated Republican Teed Dalton for governor in the closest race in years.

Wagner's election was hailed by the New deal wing of the Democratic party as a bright omen for next year's congressional elections and the 1956 presidential campaign.