Smith, Flippin Seen As Mainstays Of Princeton's Assault On Crimson

By Jack Rosenthal

Football propaganda is expected of every school. Outstanding players are often pictured on the covers of their college gridiron "dope books" (Dick Clasby included) or lavishly praised within those covers.

But such treatment is evidently insufficient for Princeton's Homer Smith. Not content with a six-paragraph squib about him in its football brochure, the Princeton department of public relations has published a five-page biographical tribute to "a tremendous competitor who is determined to excel in whatever he does."

Some feel such treatment is excessive, but a review of his performance against Harvard last year, and of his season totals both last year and this, perhaps justify this Big Buildup. At least Smith, an all Eastern choice last year as a junior, is a very important cog in a Princeton football machine that has run down considerably since last season.

In fact, he, and sophomore tailback Royce Flippin have, between them, piled up almost exactly two-thirds of total Tiger yardage this season. The two provide Coach Charlie Caldwell with seasoned skill in a team of scarcely better than average aptitude.

Smith is a 22-year old fullback, stocky and powerful at 188 pounds and 5 feet 10 inches. He is a three-year letterman, and last season was the Tigers' rushing and scoring leader. He was unanimously voted All-Eastern honors after ranking ninth nationally in rushing with 821 yards and a 6.2 yard average.

He was particularly outstanding against the Crimson last year, setting an all-time Tiger record for rushing in a single game with 273 yards on 26 carries--an average of better than a first down per carry. He scored four touchdowns in Princeton's 41-to-21 triumph.

Flippin Total Outstanding

This season, he has carried 101 times for 438 yards, to top the Tiger rushing column and place second in total offense behind Flippin, who has collected 690 yards, 425 on passes. Smith does no passing.

Flippin is only a sophomore, but his offensive total not only tops the Princeton club, but is one of the best in the East.

The rest of the starting backfield, however, is not nearly so sensational. Wingback Bob Agnew, a 175-pound sophomore, has carried only 14 times this season, and quarterback Art Pitts, a senior letterman, has accounted for but 80 yards.

The line picture has also been something less than inspiring. Of Caldwell's seven starters, two are sophomores, only three are lettermen, and only two were regulars last year, and these on defense.

Despite inexperience, though, the Tiger ends have performed adequately. Senior Harvey Mathis, the probable starting right end, has caught 12 passes for a creditable 112 yards. Bill Ledger, also a senior, has snared only three but gained 45 yards and a touchdown on them.

Center Experienced

At the tackles, Caldwell is expected to start Pete Milano, a bulky defensive regular on last year's team, and sophomore Joe Grotto, who boasts only freshman squad experience.

Starting at left guard will be one of the Tigers' best linemen, Blair Torrey, a senior letterman, but at right guard, Caldwell will have to go with another sophomore Don Cunard, a 190-pounder who captained last year's freshman team.

Junior John Henn, a dependable defensive player will again start at center: this is his first season of offensive duty with the varsity.

It is a fairly heavy line, averaging 191 pounds, about the same as the varsity's. It is not an experienced line. But nevertheless, Caldwell has Smith and Flippin to throw at the Crimson. Big Buildup or no, they can easily make the difference.