600 Sign Pledges To Back President Against McCarthy

The Harvard Liberal Union and the Young Republican Club last night mailed more than 600 signed post cards to President Eisenhower supporting his stand in his foreign policy dispute with Senator McCarthy.

The total will probably rise to over 1000 cards after tonight's collections in the Union, Winthrop, and Kirkland dining rooms, Phillipe Villers '55, Chairman of the H.L.U. Political Action Committee, predicted last night.

Of the 623 cards actually signed in the dining rooms only five attacked Eisenhower's disagreement with the Wisconsin senator. Ninety-five graduate students endorsed the President's stand.

H.L.U. Letter to President

Along with the mailed cards, H.L.U. president Jerry D. Anker '54 wrote Eisenhower a note backing his "refusal to compromise with the McCarthyist notion of foreign policy."

Anker continued, "We hope this indicates a realization among honest Republicans that party unity is desirable but not an absolute good, and that Senator McCarthy, if unchecked, will destroy the Republican Party and the country."

Last night's collection was the first time in recent years that the H.L.U. and the Y.R.C. have combined forces in a political controversy.

Adams House members signed the most cards, 124, while Lowell endorsed 109. More than 40 students wrote their own message to the President. A Lowell man penned "I like Ike." A Leverett House student blasted McCarthy as an "irresponsible legislator."

The printed message, paid for out of H.L.U. and Y.R.C. funds, follows:

"I want to express my opposition to the irresponsible attacks of Senator McCarthy on your administration and my support of your decision to continue the present policy of sending aid to all our allies who require it."