Council Voting Very Light; Four Candidates Re-Elected

Four incumbents were among the six candidates elected to the Student Council in balloting which took place in the dining halls Tuesday and Wednesday.

In unusually light balloting, the sophomores elected Nowell B. Mack of Kirkland, Bradley W. Stark of Dunster, and Irving K. Zola of Adams. Stark and Zola were the incumbent candidates. The juniors elected Clifford L. Alexander, Jr., Lowell House incumbent, David P. Bicks, Dunster incumbent, and Richard S. Dolins of Lowell House to represent them in the Student Council. They will begin their terms at the beginning of the next semester.

Richard B. Baumgartner '52, of Lowell House, head of the Student Council Election Committee, gave as the reasons for a light vote of less than fifty percent in both classes, the facts that not all the Houses were represented on the ballot and that a large number of the upperclassmen had left for the Christmas vacations.

House Committees Supervise

The balloting, which took place in the Dudley dining hall at dinner Tuesday and Wednesday, and at all the Houses yesterday at both dinner and supper, was conducted by the respective House election committees.

460 juniors cast their ballots in the preferential election, while the sophomores registered 552. According to Baumgartner, "the election was very hotly contested," with none of the candidates registering a very large plurality.

The council is composed of one representative from each of the Houses, three representatives from the freshman, sophomore, and junior classes, and two appointed by vote of the council.

Offices on Council

Alexander is the present Student Council treasurer, while Stark is the chairman of the Extracurricular Activities Committee of the Council and Zola is the Chairman of the Freshman Affairs Committee.

Alexander was vice-chairman of the Union Committee of his class, '55; Mack was a member of the Union Committee of the Class of '56. Zola and Dolins were members of the Smoker Committees of their respective freshman classes.