Blood Donor Campaign Starts This Morning; Committee Will Accept Donations All Week

Undergraduates have signed up to give 3,100 pints of blood this week to the Red Cross. The vein tapping will be from 11:45 to 4:45 today in Memorial Hall, and the program will continue each day this week.

The Blood Drive Committee stressed the importance of this drive. They said that the Korean War has seriously depleted blood reserves. Milton Engel '56, co-chairman of the committee, reported that, due to forgetfulness or other reasons, "about five out of 13 who promise to give blood do not show up."

Meyer Klein '56, co-chairman of the committee, said that the donation takes half an hour. Coffee and doughnuts will be served to donors afterwards.

Post card have been sent out to remind students of appointments. Anyone in doubt about his appointment should telephone the committee at the Phillips Brooks House, Engel said.

Eugel explained that contributing blood is not dangerous. Only one pint of blood is taken from each donor and there are 14 pints in the body. In 72 hours the blood content of the body is back to normal. "A pint of blood can be taken from the body every eight weeks without ill effect," he said.

A Bloodmobile unit from the Cambridge Red Cross Chapter will supervise the program, which includes seven local colleges.