Weather Bureau Forecasts 'Mild Winter'

New England, which sweltered through the summer and watched fall football games in shirt sleeves and sports jackets, will probably have a warm winter, too, according to Charles F. Brooks, director of the University's Blue Bill Observatory.

"The general level of our temperature has for some years been running several degrees above the average of the past 100 years," Brooks said.

"The chances would seem distinctly better than 50-50 that the coming winter will be above the long term normal temperature, December, at least, and winter as a whole should average above normal," Brooks claimed.

According to Brooks, "the pattern of November may usually be expected to continue on into winter. At present there is on snow cover for hundreds of miles to the north. Even Mt. Washington is not snow covered and there is daily automobile traffic to the summit. There is no white surface to reflect the sunshine and keep the air cold by day and there is no insulating layer of snow to prevent the warm November heat in the saturated ground from reaching the air readily."