Injuries, Ineligibilities Hinder Squad

Hockey Team Plays 2nd Game

By John J. Iselin

Potentially, Cooney Weiland has the makings of another fine hockey team. But much of that potential will be sidelined when his sextet takes the ice to tonight against Providence College.

The big question facing the Crimson is whether it will find the scoring punch lost by the graduation of last year's first liners Walt Greeley and Amory Hubbard. The varsity has scored almost at will against M.I.T. in its two scrimmages this fall, but then, Tech is Tech. The Crimson then lost its opener at Dartmouth, 5 to 1. But Captain Normie Wood thinks the varsity will eventually have that punch. Right wing job Bray is still a little hampered by his wrist, broken halfway through last season. He has to keep it tightly taped, but has developed one of the best slap shots on the squad. Captain Wood at center brings up improved strong shots from his position on last year's second line. Dependable Dick Clasby will once again play left wing on the first line.

Cleary Out

But sophomore Billy Cleary, who busted all scoring records on last year's outstanding freshman squad, has just learned that he will be unable to engage in outside athletics until after mid-years.

If there is reason to fear a Crimson loss tonight, it is not because of Cleary's loss, but because of Weiland's suddenly weakened defensive units. One month ago, Weiland has seven defensemen of sure varsity material on hand. Now, he has only four, and two of these are untried sophomores.

He had the top defensive pair in New England and perhaps in the country in Jeff Coolidge and Ed Mrkonich. Behind them he had three more hard-hitting lettermen in Tony Patton, Ned Almy, and Jim Moynihan. And he had Pete Summers and Mario Celi up from last year's Yardling team.

But Coolidge, rated perhaps, best defenseman in the East, was injured in the Yale game, and will be out until the first of the year. Then Patton broke his collar bone in scrimmage last week and will not be back in uniform until the hockey team swings west over Christmas. And two days ago, Moynihan, who returned to action against Yale and turned in such a fine game last year, was placed on temporary probation. Team members expect him to be able to play soon, but that leaves big defensive hole tonight.

Up front, behind Wood, Bray and Clasby, the second line will definitely have Doug Manchester at center, Scott Cooledge at left wing, and Ned Bliss at right wing. In either case, the second line ought to be a powerful scoring threat. Manchester, always an excellent stick handler, has shown considerable hustle this year, and both Bliss and Cooledge gained experience playing at times on the second line last year.

Hodder at center

On the third line, one of last year's freshman first line will start at right wing with transfer student Jim Hodder, son of a former Harvard hockey coach, at center. Second high scorer for the Yardlings last year, Joe Crehore will be at right wing, and Frank Mahoney will be at left wing.

Behind these three, there are sophomores Art Noyes, Alby Wells, Wink Childs, Dick Allen, and Ralph Becket fighting for a chance at the third line.

The tightest competition for any one position has developed among the three goalies, junior Carl Hathaway and sophomores Charley Flynn and George Anderson. In either case, the Crimson will have a relatively green player in the goal.

One thing seems definite with so many veterans out: the sophomores will be called on to bear a heavy load early in the season. But there is obvious talent on the varsity. The question is whether or not that talent will be on the ice in sufficient force and will be able to work together if it is there.