Sextet Crushes Providence College; Nets Eight Goals in Second Period

PROVIDENCE, R.I., Dec. 8--Harvard's varsity hockey team, its attack muffled during the Dartmouth opener last week, and in the first period here tonight, exploded for eight big goals in the second period to defeat Providence College, 10 to 1.

Playing hockey of unexpected brilliance before only 200 spectators, the Crimson, led by its third line and star defenseman Ed Mrkonich, slammed home eight out of 12 second period shots to defeat a primarily sophomore opponent.

After Ned Almy's goal had given it a 1 to 1 tie after the first 20 minutes, the Crimson wasted no time in the middle stanza, and, led by Captain Norm Wood and Frank Mahoney, just completely outplayed Providence. Wood slapped in two goals and Mahoney added the first of two.

In the Crimson nets, sophomore Charlie Flynn turned back 20 of 21 loser pucks in his first varsity start.

Also scoring in the second stanza were Mrkonich, who was credited with two assists, Art Noyes, Scott Cooledge, Job Bray, and Ned Bliss. Mahoney accounted for the final score in the last period.

Bray, who skated on the first line with Dick Clasby and Wood, accounted for two assists, as did Mahoney. Mahoney played on the third line with sophomores Joe Crohore and Noyes. On the second line were Bliss, Doug Manchester and Cooledge.

Against a team which had scared Boston University before succumbing 8 to 5, the Crimson never really was outplayed, and with Mrkonich teaming with Pete Summer on the first defense was able to stop most of the Providence thrusts.

The varsity lost its opener to Dartmouth, 5 to 1, last week in Hanover. But that was a special dedication game and will not count in Pentagonal standings.