HARVARD: BASKETBALL DOORMATS

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

I am a sophomore in the College and one of a small group that avidly supports our basketball team.

After the Princeton game February 7, the thought occurred to me that our team is in a very critical situation. I began to wonder how long any students of the University could continue to apathetically accept defeat after defeat. I, for one, am becoming disturbed. For the team to go on this way is ridiculous. Undoubtedly something must be done. Some say it is mainly the fault of our coach. I do not know if that is the cause but, if it is, I say fire him. Some say our competition is too strong. If it is, I say get out of the Ivy League and play schools which will not run up fifteen, twenty, and thirty-point differences. I would not mind losing if the team were at least losing closely matched. Some say we need better talent. If so, I say go out and put on an extensive campaign to discover good basketball players who, if they came to Harvard would not lower the academic tradition.

If all these remedies have been tried or some reason cannot be put into effect there is one final solution; that is, drop basketball altogether. I do not know how others feel about this but as for me, I would rather have no team at all than have one go out on the court with the name "Harvard" on their uniforms and be mercilessly crushed by our opponents.

But then again, perhaps I am exaggerating the situation or making too much of a "slump". Perhaps our eight wins in thirty-eight games is something only temporary and the season may still wind up successful (by successful I mean winning half of the remaining games).

Or perhaps I am being unreasonable in asking for a change. But I somehow dislike my alma mater being used as a doormat by most of the teams we play. What do you think? Am I wrong? I would appreciate any comment. --Name Withheld by Request