Seventy-Five

Yale Daily News: $2.00 212 pages

By Michael Maccoby

Seventy-five, the Yale Daily News' commemoration of its Diamond Jubilee, is a collection of sixty-seven essays ranging from Yale admissions policy to an article entitled "The Challenge of Our Faith." All of the pieces are written by Yale alumni, and all of them, even the slightly critical ones, reflect a basic pride and satisfaction with their alma mater.

Seventy-five is not merely pacons of praise for the Blue. In all fairness to the News, it has said little about itself; rather it has let others evaluate it and Yale. Thus some of the articles seem merely like catalogues of Yale's facilities. Others, especially those written by famous alumni in business and government, are dis-connected and slightly platitudinous. It is in the evaluation of Yale life by members of the administration, however, where the reader will catch a revealing picture of the differences between Harvard and its New Haven neighbor.

Richard C. Carrol, associate dean of the college, states it broadly: "Unlike Harvard, Yale does not encourage individualism. The non-conformist is tolerated, allowed to go his own way, but he is generally ignored. The result in the profile of the Yale graduate is more readily describle."

Although there are exceptions, this profile is generally accepted by Yale men. They may deplore the fate of the bright successful student who is so loaded down with honors and extra-curricular offices that he forgets the original purposes of the college. They may admonish the too serious student, who is so worried about his behavior and so intent upon examining it that he forgets to enjoy himself. And they may also accuse those who follow Yale's ready-made standards as spiritually deficient. But no one is seriously at odds with the basic Yale institutions.

Although Seventy-five suggests this, it also points up a willingness on Yale's part to talk about itself, in a somewhat stolid manner.

The News, itself, has contributed a bold and pleasing make-up and a running commentary, which is little more than enlogistic. Some clever, original cartoons by Robert Osborn brighten up the sometimes dingy copy. All in all, Seventy-five, combines the dull with the interesting; it is a monumental work of its kind.