4 Faculty Men Appointed to New Positions

Two University professors will fill the chairmanships of their departments and two others will join the Committee on Educational Policy, Provost Buck announced yesterday.

They are: E. Bright Wilson, Jr., chairman of the Department of Chemistry-designate, Cecilia Payne-Gaposchkin, acting chairman of the Committee on Educational Policy appointed, and Charles L. Kuhn, member of the Committee on Educational Policy appointed.

Provost Buck announced the appointments at a meeting of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences yesterday.

On his return from leave of absence this year on September 1, 1953, Wilson, Theodore William Richards Professor of Chemistry, will become chairman of the Chemistry department.

Payne-Gaposchkin, lecturer on Astronomy and Phillips Astronomer, will serve as acting chairman of the Department of Astronomy during the spring term.

During the spring term, Elder, associate professor of Greek and Latin, will be acting chairman of the Committee on Educational Policy.

Assisting Elder will be Kuhn, associate professor of Fine Arts and curator of the Busch-Reisinger Museum. He will serve on the committee during the absence of Frederick B. Deknatel, professor of Fine Arts.