'Mister Zero's' Yardling Wrestlers Hold Opponents Scoreless--- So Far

Lining Them Up

The Boston Bruins had the local sports scene's first "Mr. Zero," when goalie Frankie Brimsek was one of their greatest stars. This year, the University has a "Mr. Zero" to match him--freshman wrestling coach Joe Maras. His team has not been scored upon this season.

Maras is best known for his work as varsity line coach during the football season, but, since taking over as Yardling wrestling coach this season, he has put to good use experience gained as head wrestling coach at Amherst, which he left in 1959.

Maras' team won a practice meet from M.I.T., 36 to 0, to start the season. In their first regular contest, the Yardlings overwhelmed Tufts by a similar score at Medford. Last Saturday, a surprising shutout upended the Brown Cubs at Providence--28 to 0.

The cipher-minded Marasmen will try to make it four in a row this afternoon. They move to M.I.T. for a 4 p.m. match.

Varsity Potential

Looking over his team, Maras sees a group of talented, but actually inexperienced youngsters, who may develop into the nucleus of a fine varsity team.

Top prospect for the freshmen appears to be Captain Dick Hook at 157 pounds. an Exeter graduate, Hook won a New England AAU meet in his weight class two weeks ago, proving he has plenty of ability. Hook's greatest assets however, are hustle and enthusiasm.

In the lighter weight classes. Phil Herrera at 123, and Ed Keating at 130 are the top performers. Hererra comes from Guatemala city, Guatemala; Keating is a local boy, graduate of Roxbury Latin.

Welterweights Phil Burnaman and Johnny Cole are both from Oklahoma. Burnaman had a fine record as a Tulsa High School performer and seems to have a firm hold on his 137 pound position. But Cole finds John Lane and Hank Brawle giving him a spirited fight for his post of 147. Any one of the three may be the top man by the season's end.

Scholastic troubles may handicap Chuck Harding, but he is the team's best performer, at 167. Up one class, 177 pound Arnold Rubin is back in shape after suffering an injury before Christmas.

Unusually small for a heavyweight, 185 pound Sam Quartarone works well and hard to make up for his weight dis advantage.

In addition to today's meet, the freshmen must get by Andover, Exeter, and Yale for an undefeated season. Undefeated they well may be; unscored upon is something else again.