Financial Aids Reopens Chance at Scholarships

Will Take Applications From Boys' Pinched' By Tuition Boost

Scholarship applications for the 1953-54 academic year have been reopened to take care of students "feeling the pinch" of the recent tuition rise, John U. Monro '34, head of the Financial Aid Center, announced yesterday.

"We'll accept scholarship applications from anyone who feels the increase makes it necessary for him to have financial aid," Monro said.

The original application deadline for scholarship blanks was January 23 for juniors, January 16 for sophomores, and January 9 for freshmen. The new deadline for all classes is tentatively set for March 1.

Monro indicated that approximately 1100 students had filed blanks. He emphasized, however, that none of those students who have turned in blanks need bother to make corrections because of the tuition increase.

"We'll make all the financial adjustments according to individual need," Monro stated. "There will be no blanket $200 increase to cover the tuition jump, but each case will continue to be judged on an individual basis," he added.

Provost Buck indicated last week that a "large sum" of the money gained from the increase would be used for larger scholarship funds. The University has not revealed the exact figures on just how much money will be added.