Five Downs Dartmouth In season's 1st Ivy Win

By David L. Halberstam

The varsity basketball team defeated Dartmouth, 50 to 46, last night at the Blockhouse and ended a string of 17 consecutive Ivy League defeats because it played like a team for 40 minutes, moving the ball well and fighting for rebounds under both boards. Bill Dennis ended up with 17 points, eight more than anyone else for the Crimson, but it was a team effort throughout, and Dennis' rebounding was an important factor.

The varsity, behind five points early in the third period, and rarely ahead in the low scoring game, fought back with Captain Dick Lionette, Harry Sacks, Ed Condon, and Ed Krinsky all contributing.

Lionette, who did his best rebounding job of the year, put the Crimson ahead in the last quarter for good, when he tapped in a loose ball. And though the favored Green, led by Captain Fred Gieg, played desperate ball in the last two minutes, one of Dennis' driving specialties, a fantastic long book shot by Lionette, and free throws by Dennis and Condon were just too much.

With less than half a minute left, Dennis was fouled while he froze the ball, and sank both shots to widen the Harvard lead to 49 to 46. Seconds later, Condon--who was hot from the outside with his sets--netted one of his free throws to end the scoring.

The teams played evenly almost from the start, with the Green holding an occasional slight advantage, although the halftime score was 27 to 27. Condon was second high for the varsity with 11 while Sacks had nine, and Lionette seven.