Removal of Pinball May Damage Students' Minds, Merchant States

The impending disappearance of a dozen or more pinball machines from the lunch counters around the Square may constitute a serious threat to the mental health of University students, local merchant Harry Saxe said last night.

Introduction of a bill in the state legislature to outlaw pinball machines was approved last week by Massachusetts Attorney General George Fingold and the state's nine district attorneys.

"I don't believe they'll outlaw pinball," stated Saxe, proprietor of Harry's Areade on Mount Auburn St. "It's beneficial, not only to students, but to the general public.

"If students don't have any way to relieve themselves of the strain around here, their minds go blank," Saxe continued.

"Pinball isn't really a form of gambling. It's a game like any other--valuable recreation. Why, I once knew a professor who used to come in here any play.

"They don't lose much money, either," he concluded. "The average student is no sucker."

Other merchants showed less concern over student morale and more over possible less of business. "I don't pretend that these things pay my rent, but they're a good drawing card," said James Baker of Ryan's Sandwich Shop.

A dangerous aspect of pinball machines became apparent last week in Arkadelphia. Ark., when one of the machines exploded and caused painful majuries to an Ouachita College sophomore. Tremors from the explosion were felt a block away.