'56 Lacks Top Performer as Smoker Nears

With less than two weeks to go, the Freshman Smoker is still without a star.

Smoker Chairman Peter Hearst '56 admitted last night that the Smoker Committee has been unable to obtain top national entertainment for the affair. He claimed that negotiations are under way with a "well-known jazz band," but declined to name the band and refused to discuss the Smoker's prospects for scheduling it.

Despite this apparent failure to procure top talent, Hearst insisted that "everything is really shaping up well" and stated, "I'll guarantee this to be the biggest, best Smoker yet."

Lehrer to Perform

"We plan to have more beer than ever-over 300 gallons," Hearst said. He added, "Although we could not get a wholesale beer license, we expect to stay comfortably within our budget."

In other Smoker developments, the Committee announced its local entertainment selections. Performers named include: Tom Lehrer 6G, planist and singer; the Krokodiloes, a singing ensemble from the Hasty Pudding Club; the Wellesley Widows, an eight-girl singing group; Hugh Shepley, juggler; and Jerry Alch '54, comedian. James A. Austrian '56 will serve as student master of ceremonies.

The Smoker Committee also revealed plans for a raffle with an alarm clockradio as top prize. Several other articles will be raffled off, including a bottle of champagne, men's wear, and appliances.

Admission will be $1, a slight rise over previous years. Federal tax increases necessitated the jump in ticket prices.