Lions Whip Crimson Quintet, 77-56

Columbia had Jack Molinas, and Jack Molinas had hands like a magician.

But the Lions also had height, speed, a tight defense, a discouraging accuracy from the foul line, and an endless bench Saturday night at the Blockhouse as they defeated the varsity basketball team, 77 to 56.

Molinas, (left) six foot six Blue captain, rebounded well, led his team in its fast breaks, and scored 30 points, including 14 out of 14 free throws. His teammates were equally adept and the team shot 29 out of 34 free throws.

It was too bad that the varsity had to play the Lions. Norman Shepard's team turned in one of its best performances, staying with Columbia for all of the first quarter, and most of the second before the visitors really widened the gap.

The Crimson showed hustle, and its defense for the first half was again excellent. After the first half, however, Lon Rossinni's constant substituting caught up with Harvard, and its defense weakened.

Paul Brandt scored eight of his 13 points in the first quarter, as the Blue took a slight 19 to 16 lead. Ed Krinsky and Dick Lionette--who played one of his best games--both scored two field goals. The Crimson scored eight points in the second period, while Molinas netted nine, and Columbia went ahead 37 to 24 at the half.