Draft Sets Four Years As Limit to 2A Status

Students who decelerate or extend their undergraduate program beyond the normal four years disqualify themselves for a 2A student deferment, state draft officials yesterday announced to colleges and universities.

Registrar Sargent Kennedy '28 warned of the Selective Service time limit yesterday. He again cautioned that course failures would probably lead to the immediate loss of 2A classification.

Colleges Unaware

The Selective Service notice stated, "It has become apparent that some colleges, universities, or similar institutions of learning are unaware of what constitutes a full time course of instruction for student deferment purposes under the Military Training and Service Act."

The provision is: ". . . a full time course of instruction is a course which provides for the completion of all degree requirements within the time normally allotted for the attainment of the degree."

A full time course for an A.B. degree is thus of four years duration.

Kennedy noted yesterday that the effect of the draft on the college "has been practically negligible." "Only one or two have dropped out," he stated, "and they could have completed the year by asking for postponed 1A classification."